BLOXWORTH (ST. ANDREW), a parish, in the union of WAREHAM and PURBECK, hundred of COOMBSDITCH, Wareham division of DORSET, 8 miles (S.) from Blandford; containing 306 inhabitants. It comprises about 3000 acres, of which 900 are arable, 400 pasture, 200 meadow, 80 woodland (chiefly coppice), and the remainder heath; the soil is various, in some parts clay, in others chalk alternated with sand. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15. 7. 1., and in the gift of the family of Pickard: the tithes have been commuted for £279, and the glebe consists of 35 acres. The church is an ancient structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower. On a hill called Woolsbarrow, situated on the heath, about a mile towards the east, are vestiges of a small fortification supposed to be of Danish origin, the ramparts and trenches of which may be traced: near it are several tumuli.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- Michael Day provides photographs and bibliography for Bloxworth (St. Andrew) on his Dorset Churches website
- You can search for churches in the local area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database.
- The Dorset History Centre hold the Parish Registers for Bloxworth:
Baptisms: 1579-1970 Marriages: 1581-1648, 16541657, 1662-1837 Burials: 1579-1992 (DHC Ref: PE/BLX)
- A description of Bloxworth from the Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5 is available on the UK Genealogy Archives site