CAUNDLE, BISHOP, a parish, in the union of SHERBORNE, partly in the hundred of BROWNSHALL, Sturminster division, and partly in that of SHERBORNE, Sherborne division of DORSET, 5 miles (S. E. by E.) from Sherborne; containing 365 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1304 acres, of which 200 are arable, 961 meadow and pasture, and about 22 wood. The hamlet of Brownshall, in the parish, is of great antiquity, and was formerly of importance, having given name to a hundred. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 10.; net income, £226; patron, Earl Digby. The glebe contains 21 acres, with a glebehouse.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- Michael Day provides photographs and bibliography for Bishops Caundle (dedication unknown) on his Dorset Churches website
- You can search for churches in the local area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database.
- The Dorset History Centre hold the Parish Registers for Bishop's Caundle:
Baptisms: 1570-1599, 16181641, 1648-1921 Marriages: 1570-1610, 1640, 1655-1683, 17001738, 1754-1993 Burials: 1570-1599, 16181640, 1651-1983 (DHC Ref: PE/BCD)
- The Registers of Caundle Bishop 1570-1814 are available to view online.
- A description of Bishops Caundle from the Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5 is available on the UK Genealogy Archives site