BINCOMBE (HOLY TRINITY), a parish, in the union of WEYMOUTH, liberty of FRAMPTON, Dorchester division of DORSET, 5 miles (S. by W.) from Dorchester; containing 170 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1000 acres, of which the soil is strong, the surface hilly, and the pasture land in general excellent. There are some quarries of a very fine durable stone, easily worked, a great quantity of which has been used in the public buildings at Dorchester. The living is a rectory, with that of Broadway annexed, valued in the king's books at £9. 1. 5½.; patrons, the Master and Fellows of Caius College, Cambridge. The tithes of Bincombe have been commuted for £180, and those of Broadway for £290. 10. 6.; the glebe in Bincombe comprises about 30 acres, and in Broadway 20. The church is a small structure with a square tower. Numerous barrows are visible on the neighbouring downs.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- Michael Day provides photographs and bibliography for Bincombe (Holy Trinity) on his Dorset Churches website
- You can search for churches in the local area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database.
- The Dorset History Centre hold the Parish Registers for Bincombe:
Baptisms: 1650-1991 Marriages: 1658-1753, 1759 1948 Burials: 1658-1991 (DHC Ref: PE/BIN)
- A description of Bincombe from the Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5 is available on the UK Genealogy Archives site