BATCOMBE (ST. MARY), a parish, in the union of CERNE, hundred of YETMINSTER, Cerne division of DORSET, 3 miles (N. W. by W.) from Cerne-Abbas, containing 171 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1149 acres, of which 172 are arable, 539 pasture, 28 orchard, 27 woodland, and 383 common: the soil is a deep black mould. The living is a discharged rectory, united in 1772 to that of Froome-Vauchurch, and valued in the king's books at £9. 9. 9½.: the tithes have been commuted for £130, and there are 45 acres of glebe. The church is a handsome structure in the early English style, with a finely carved roof of oak, and a square tower; on the north side is a private aisle for sepulture, anciently belonging to the family of Minterne.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- Michael Day provides photographs and bibliography for Batcombe (St. Mary) on his Dorset Churches website
- You can search for churches in the local area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database.
- The Dorset History Centre hold the Parish Registers for Batcombe:
Baptisms: 1800 - 1808 Marriages: 1767 - 1938 Burials: 1799 - 1991 Banns: 1825 - 1943
- A description of Batcombe from "The Dorset Page"
- A description of Batcombe from the Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5 is available on the UK Genealogy Archives site