ASKERSWELL (ST. MICHAEL), a parish, in the union of BRIDPORT, hundred of EGGERTON, Bridport division of DORSET, 4 miles (E.) from Bridport; containing 233 inhabi tants. It contains about 1200 acres; the soil is chalky, and the surface hilly. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 2. 6.; net income, £160; patron, the Rev. James Cox. The glebe contains 23 acres, with a house.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- Michael Day provides photographs and bibliography for Askerswell (St. Michael) on his Dorset Churches website
- You can search for churches in the local area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database.
- The Dorset History Centre hold the Parish Registers for Askerswell:
Baptisms: 1560 - 1997 Marriages: 1560 - 1991 Burials: 1560 - 1999 Banns: 1754 - 1999
- A description of Askerswell from "The Dorset Page"
- A description of Askerswell from the Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5 is available on the UK Genealogy Archives site