ASHMORE (ST. NICHOLAS), a parish, in the union of SHAFTESBURY, hundred of CRANBORNE, Shaston division of DORSET, 5 miles (S. E.) from Shaftesbury, containing 242 inhabitants. It comprises 2342 acres, of which 643 are common or waste; the soil is heavy and flinty, and the ground elevated, rising 720 feet above the level of the sea. The living, which formerly belonged to the abbey of Tewkesbury, is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 19. 9½.; net income, £389; patron, the Rev. C. Chisholme. The glebe consists of about 30 acres. The church, erected in 1433, is a plain edifice of stone and flint.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- Michael Day provides photographs and bibliography for Ashmore (St. Nicholas) on his Dorset Churches website
- You can search for churches in the local area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database.
- The Dorset History Centre hold the Parish Registers for Ashmore:
Baptisms: 1651 - 1999 Marriages: 1667 - 1994 Burials: 1654 - 1997 Banns: 1824 - 1903
- A description of Ashmore from "The Dorset Page"
- A description of Ashmore from the Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5 is available on the UK Genealogy Archives site