Arne

Select map to view larger area
ARNE, a parochial chapelry, in the union of WAREHAM and PURBECK, hundred of HASILOR, Wareham division of DORSET, 4 miles (E. by N.) from Wareham; containing 168 inhabitants; and comprising 1068a. 2r. 21p., exclusive of 1754 acres of common or waste. The village is situated on the shore of Poole harbour, between Wareham and Brownsea Island. On the summit of an eminence connected with a bank of gravel or pebbles, extending north-eastward into the harbour, is a large barrow, which was formerly used as a beacon. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Rector of Wareham. The chapel, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is a plain structure of ancient date.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014

Church History

Church Records

Description and Travel

Genealogy