ALTON-PANCRAS (ST. PANCRATIUS), a parish and liberty, in the union of CERNE, Cerne division of DORSET, 8¼ miles (N.) from Dorchester; containing 248 inhabitants. The two manors, or parcels of demesne land, called Alton Borealis and Alton Australis, till lately constituted the endowment of two prebends in the cathedral of Salisbury. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's hooks at £9; net income, £120; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury, who are also appropriators. The church is dedicated to St. Pancratius, a nobleman of Phrygia, who suffered martyrdom under Diocletian at Rome in the third century.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- Michael Day provides photographs and bibliography for Alton Pancras (St. Pancras) on his Dorset Churches website
- You can search for churches in the local area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database.
- The Dorset History Centre hold the Parish Registers for Alton Pancras:
Baptisms: 1673/4 - 1961 Marriages: 1674 - 1988 Burials: 1674 - 1997
- A description of Alton Pancras from "The Dorset Page"
- A description of Alton Pancras from the Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5 is available on the UK Genealogy Archives site