ALMER (ST. MARY), a parish, in the union of BLANDFORD, hundred of LOOSEBARROW, Wimborne division of DORSET, 5¾ miles (S. S. E.) from Blandford-Forum; containing, with the hamlet of Mapperton, 189 inhabitants. It comprises 1129 acres of land, presenting a flat appearance; the soil is light, with a chalk and gravel bottom. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 5. 8., and in the patronage of the family of Drax: the tithes have been commuted for £265, and the glebe consists of 35 acres. The church is a small edifice, built by General Erle.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- Michael Day provides photographs and bibliography for Almer (St. Mary) on his Dorset Churches website
- You can search for churches in the local area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database.
- The Dorset History Centre hold the Parish Registers for Almer:
Baptisms: 1539 - 1990 Marriages: 1538 - 1836 Burials: 1538 - 1993 Banns: 1825 - 1975
- A description of Almer from "The Dorset Page"
- A description of Almer from the Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5 is available on the UK Genealogy Archives site