ALLINGTON (ST. SWITHIN), a parish, in the union of BRIDPORT, hundred of GODDERTHORNE, Bridport division of DORSET, ¾ of a mile (N. W.) from Bridport; containing 1545 inhabitants. This parish, formerly a chapelry in that of Bridport, comprises 582a. 3r. 5p., of which 281 acres are arable, 249 pasture, and 51 homesteads. The river Brid, or Birt, runs through the locality, which may be considered as a continuation of the town of Bridport, and is within the limits of the borough. Great quantities of hemp and flax are raised in the vicinity, and a manufacture of home and sail cloth is carried on, affording employment to a considerable number of persons. A fair for cheese and pedlery is held on the first Wednesday in August. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Rev. Henry Fox: the tithes have been commuted for £190. The church is in the Grecian style; it was erected in 1827, and contains 800 sittings, of which 400 are free. An hospital for lepers, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, existed here, which, at the Dissolution in 1553, was valued at £7. 8. 4. An ancestor of the celebrated John Wesley was ejected from the ministry of Allington as a non-juror.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- Michael Day provides photographs and bibliography for Allington (St. Swithun) on his Dorset Churches website
- You can search for churches in the local area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database.
- The Dorset History Centre hold the Parish Registers for Allington:
Baptisms: 1570-1970 (see also Bridport 1570-1827) Marriages: 1570-1993 Burials: 1673-1934 Banns: 1753-1998
- UK Genealogy Archives have a full transcript of the Marriages at Allington, 1570-1812 taken from the Phillimore Marriages series.
- A description of Allington from the Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5 is available on the UK Genealogy Archives site