Sheffield, West Riding of Yorkshire
Sheffield, created a city on 13 Feb., 1893, fifty years after municipal incorporation, is an ancient parish and market-town in the W.R. Yorkshire, standing in lat. 53º 23' N, lon. 1º 29' W, 46 miles S by W of York, 39 S of Leeds, 41 E by S of Manchester, and 157 N by W of London. It has a population of 324,291, an area of 19,651 acres, and is about 10 miles in width from E to W, with an average breadth of 4 miles from N to S. Sheffield is the capital of the district of Hallamshire, in the wapentakes of North and South Straffortb and Tickhill, and is the second largest town in the county of York, being inferior only to Leeds. As a railway centre it is served by the M.R., the M.S. & L.B., and the G.N.R., the latter running through trains over the M.S. & L. system. It is situated at the junction of the Sheaf with the river Don, and is near the confluence of the Porter, the Bivelin, and the Loxley. By means of a canal to Tinsley the Don is navigable for barges of fair size from Sheffield to the Ouse and on to the sea. In 1895 the canals and navigations belonging to the M.S. & L.R. were purchased by the Sheffield and South Yorkshire Navigation Company, whose object is to improve the existing waterways and facilitate water carriage to the sea. Originally famous for its cutlery, Sheffield has within modern times become the centre for iron and steel manufactures of every kind. It provides the British Government with war material, both offensive and defensive, and has practically a monopoly of the manufacture of armour plates. A score or more of miscellaneous trades are carried on within its borders, including hardware goods of all kinds, and silver and electroplating, a branch of industry which has largely developed the artistic qualities of its inhabitants. Often called " Smoky Sheffield," on account of masses of black smoke which darken the sky from its innumerable chimneys (though lately much has been done by the municipal authorities to remove this reproach), it has ample compensation in the beauty of its surroundings. The most lovely parts of Derbyshire, spots rich in romantic lore, lie within a few miles of its smoky streets, and are easily accessible by road and rail. Its suburbs, too, are delightfully situated. The borough is divided into nine wards:-St Peter's, Park, St George's, St Philip's, Ecclesall, Brightside, Attercliffe, Nether Hallam, and Upper Hallam. Under the Redistribution of Seats Act, 1885, the city returns five members to Parliament, the divisions being Central, Hallam, Ecclesall, Brightside, and Attercliffe. The Duke of Norfolk is lord of the manor, and a court leet is held yearly.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sheffield St. Peter|
|Wapentake||Strafforth and Tickhill|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Sheffield :
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sheffield from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Sheffield (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the West Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following West Riding newspapers online: