Adel, West Riding of Yorkshire
Adel, a township and a parish in the W.R. Yorkshire. The township is 2 miles from Horsforth railway station, and 5 NNW of Leeds; and it is joined to Eccup, forming Adel-cum-Eccup, and also includes the hamlet of Cookridge and part of East Breary. Post town, Leeds. Acreage, 4890; population of the civil parish, 1161; of the ecclesiastical, 1104. There is a large reservoir in connection with the Leeds water-works. Remains of a Roman camp and villa are in a field a mile N of the church. There is a museum at the churchyard gate containing Roman altars, stone coffins, and other antiquities. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon; net value, £751. The church is a very fine Norman edifice, erected about 1140 A.D. There are two schools, the Leeds Boys' Reformatory, a cemetery, and some bleach-works. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Eccup, and a Convalescent Hospital at Cookridge, founded by John Metcalfe Smith, Esq., in 1868, with accommodation for 100 inmates.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Addle St. John the Baptist|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Adel from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Addle, or Adel (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the West Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Adel are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following West Riding newspapers online: