Holme upon Spalding Moor, East Riding of Yorkshire
Holme-upon-Spalding-Moor, a village and a parish in E.R. Yorkshire. The village stands near the Holme station of the Selby and Market Weighton railway, 5 miles SW by Wof Market Weighton, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under York. The parish comprises 11, 552 acres, including 59 of water; population, 1815. The manor belonged to the Constables, passed to the Langdales, one of whom was Sir Marmaduke the Royalist general, and passed again to the Stourtons. Holme Hall is the seat of the lord of the manor. A hill, on which is the parish church, and on which also in ancient times was a beacon for guiding travellers and for alarming the country in cases of invasion, commands delightful views as far as Howden and York. Much of the land was long trackless moor and morass, and a cell for two monks to act as guides to travellers across the dreary waste stood on what is now called Monk Farm. It is now fat and well cultivated in consequence of drainage. A bed of gypsum with fossils is in the vicinity of the Beacon Hill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £700 with residence. Patron, St John's College, Cambridge. The church is ancient, is in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and a western tower with pinnacles. There are Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist, and Roman Catholic chapels, and a Roman Catholic reformatory. The latter is a large edifice in the Pointed style, built in 1846, with a chapel attached, and has accommodation for over 200 boys.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Holme-upon-Spalding-Moor All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Howden|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Holme upon Spalding Moor from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Holme-Upon-Spalding-Moor (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: