Ribbesford, a village and a parish in Worcestershire. The village stands on the river Severn, 1 mile S of Bewdley, and was once a market-town. The parish contains also the borough of Bewdley. Post town, Bewdley. Acreage, 3713; population of the civil parish, 2977; of the ecclesiastical, 2003. The manor belongs to the Winnington-Ingram family. Ribbesford House was formerly the residence of Lord Herbert of Cherbury. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford; net value, £100. The church, beautifully situated, is Norman and Perpendicular, and contains remains of a 15th-century rood-screen, a piscina, some old painted glass, and some interesting monuments. See BEWDLEY.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ribbesford St. Leonard|
|Poor Law union||Kidderminster|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ribbesford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ribbesford (St. Leonard))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Ribbesford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
Villages, Hamlets, &c
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.