Flyford Flavel, Worcestershire
Flyford Flavel, a village and a parish in Worcestershire, 6½ miles NE of Pershore. Post town, Worcester; money order and telegraph office, Pershore. Acreage, 692; population, 169. Remains of fossil shells are plentiful, and there is a medicinal spring. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester; gross value, £107 with residence. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1883.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Flyford-Flavel St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Pershore|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1676.
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, wooden south porch and an embattled western tower containing 2 bells: the entire church was restored, in 1883, under the direction of Mr. W. J. Hopkins, architect, of Worcester, and opened Dec. 27, 1883, the cost (£1,500) being defrayed by the late William Laslett esq, of Abberton Hall: there are 120 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Flyford Flavel from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Flyford-Flavel (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Flyford Flavel are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.