Defford, a village and a parish in Worcestershire, on the river Avon, 3 miles SW of Pershore, with a station on the M.R., and a post office under Pershore; money order office, Eckington; telegraph office, at the railway station. There is a working men's institute. Acreage, 1691; population of the civil parish, 401; of the ecclesiastical, 579. Defford Common is an extensive waste, and contains three very large ancient oak trees. The living is a vicarage, united with Besford chapelry, in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £270 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The church, ancient, was restored in 1865.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Pershore|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Defford from the following:
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Defford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.