Zeals or Zeals Green, a parish, with a village, in Wiltshire, 1 ½ mile WSW of Mere, and 4 miles NNW of Gillingham station on the L. & S.W.R. It was formerly a chapelry, but was constituted a separate civil parish in 1896. Post town, Bath. Population, 470. Zeals House is the ancient seat of the Chafyn-Grove family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; gross value, £495 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Mere. The church is a building of stone in the Gothic style, and was erected in 1846. There are Congregational and Methodist chapels, and four almshouses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Mere|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Zeals:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Zeals from the following:
Online maps of Zeals are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: