Tollard Royal, Wiltshire
Tollard Royal, a parish in Wiltshire, 10 miles from Semley, 11 from Blandford, and 12 S of Tisbury station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post and telegraph office under Salisbury; money order office, Handley. Acreage, 1854; population, 247. A hunting seat of King John is here. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; gross value, £500 with residence. The church is good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tollard-Royal St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Tisbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Tollard Royal:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tollard Royal from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Tollard-Royal (St. Peter))
Online maps of Tollard Royal are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online:
- Salisbury and Winchester Journal
- Devizes and Wiltshire Gazette
- Wiltshire Independent
- Swindon Advertiser and North Wilts Chronicle