Semley, a parish, with a village, in Wiltshire, with a station on the L. & S.W.R., 101 miles from London and 3 NE of Shaftesbury. It has a post office under Shaftesbury; money order and telegraph office at the railway station. Acreage, 2985; population, 643. There is a parish council consisting of nine members and a chairman. Building stone is quarried. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; gross value, £450 with residence. Patron, Christchurch, Oxford. The old church was pulled down in 1874 and the present building erected in 1875; it is of stone, in the Early Decorated style. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Semley St. Leonard|
|Poor Law union||Tisbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Semley:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Semley from the following:
Online maps of Semley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: