Odstock, a parish in Wiltshire, on an affluent of the river Avon, 2 ¼ miles S of Salisbury station on the G.W.R. and L. & S.W.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Salisbury. Acreage, 1295; population, 177. The Earl of Radnor is lord of the manor. Clearbury Ring is an ancient earthwork on the summit of a lofty hill in the S, has an oblong shape, is protected by a single ditch and by a rampart about 40 feet high, has been ascribed generally to the West Saxons-particularly to Cynric, who captured Old Sarum in 552 and commands a very extensive view. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £250. Patron, the Earl of Radnor. The church has an oaken pulpit of the time of Elizabeth.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Odstock St. Mary|
|Hundred||Cawden and Cadworth|
|Poor Law union||Alderbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Odstock:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Odstock from the following:
Online maps of Odstock are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: