Ebbesborne Wake, Wiltshire
Ebbesborne Wake, a parish in Wilts, on the Downs, 4 ½ miles SE by S of Tisbury station on the L. & S.W.R., and 8 SW of Wilton. It has a post and money order office under Salisbury; telegraph office, Donhead, St Andrew. Acreage, 2884; population, 244. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £210. Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church is Norman, in good condition, and there is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ebbesborne-Wake St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Wilton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1653.
Church of England
St. John the Baptist (parish church)
The church of St. John the Baptist is a building of stone in the Early English style, and was restored in 1877 at a cost of about £1,600: it consists of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 5 bells, and bearing the arms of the Wake family: the church plate includes a chalice of the year 1520: there are about 130 sittings.
The Congregational chapel, founded in 1780, has 120 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ebbesborne Wake from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: