Bower Chalk, Wiltshire

Historical Description

Bower-Chalk, a parish in Wilts, near Cranborne Chase, 5 miles S of Dinton station on the L. & S.W.R., and 7 ½ SW of Wilton. Acreage, 3260; population of the civil parish, 461; of the ecclesiastical, 455. It has a post office under Salisbury; money order office, Broad Chalk; telegraph office, Dinton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £128 with residence; in the gift of King's College, Cambridge.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Wiltshire
Ecclesiastical parish Bower-Chalk Holy Trinity
Hundred Chalk
Poor Law union Wilton

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1694.


Churches

Church of England

Holy Trinity (parish church)

The church of the Holy Trinity is a small cruciform building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, transepts, south aisle, north porch and an embattled tower, containing a clock and 3 bells: there are sittings for 280 persons.

Baptist

Baptist Chapel

No information available

Methodist

Wesleyan Chapel

No information available


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Bower Chalk from the following:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: