York Town, Surrey
York Town, a chapelry in Ash parish, Surrey, with a station on the L. & S.W.R., 35 miles from London, and near Aldershot. It was constituted in 1851, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Camberley. Population, 3004. The Staff College is situated in this parish, and is designed to hold forty officers undergoing two years' instruction for staff appointments. The living is a vicarage, with Camberley annexed, in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £110 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is a handsome building of stone in the Early English style, and contains numerous memorials. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels. Camberley is a district adjoining York Town, and has a mission church and a Roman Catholic church. An obelisk is in the neighbourhood, and forms a conspicuous landmark.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of York Town are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.