Wotton, Surrey

Historical Description

Wotton, a parish in Surrey, which lies 3 miles WSW of Dorking, and 2½ from Gomshall station on the S.E.R. It includes part Of Oakwood chapelry, and is in Dorking district. Post town, Dorking. Acreage, 3796; population of the civil parish, 655; of the ecclesiastical, 421. Tan-hurst and Wotton House are the chief residences. Leith Hill is here, and has been separately noticed. There are brick, tile, and pottery works. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £470 with residence. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, and has been restored. J. Evelyn, the author of " Sylva," was a native.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Surrey
Ecclesiastical parish Wotton St. John the Evangelist
Hundred Wotton
Poor Law union Dorking

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Wotton from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Wotton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictMole Valley
CountySurrey
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtRH5
Post TownDorking