Worplesdon, a parish in Surrey, with a station on the L. & S.W.R., 27 miles from London. It contains four tithings and part of Wyke chapelry, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Guildford. Acreage, 5289; population, 1820. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. Worplesdon and Burpham manors belong to Earl Onslow. A Roman pavement was found in 1829 on Broad Street Common. The living is a rectory, with Bnrp-ham annexed, in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £680 with residence. Patron, Eton College. The church is an edifice of stone in the Perpendicular and Decorated styles, with an embattled tower. Thomas Comber, master of Trinity College, Cambridge, 1631-45, and Dr. Burton, the antiquary, were rectors. There is also a church at Burpham, dedicated to St Luke, erected in 1860. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Worplesdon St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Guildford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Worplesdon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Worplesdon (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Worplesdon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.