Woodmansterne, a parish in Surrey, 2 miles from Coulsdon station on the L.B. & S.C.R. It has a post office under Epsom. Acreage, 1591; population, 408. Oaks, which once belonged to the Earls of Derby, and gave name to the Oaks stakes at Epsom, is now the seat of the James family. Stagbury is the seat of the Walpole family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester; net value, £380. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was rebuilt in 1876-77, and is a stone building in the Early Decorated style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Woodmansterne St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Croydon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Woodmansterne from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Woodmansterne (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Woodmansterne are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.