Wonersh, a parish, with a village, in Surrey, on the Arun and Wey Canal, with a station on the L.B. & S.C.R., 54 miles from London. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Guildford. Acreage, 4423; population of the civil parish, 2068; of the ecclesiastical, 1106. Wonersh Park, Great Tangley, and Little Tangley are the chief residences. The mansion in Wonersh Park is the seat of the Sudbury family; it is in the Elizabethan style, contains a very fine library, and stands in extensive and well-timbered ground. Remains of an ancient camp are on a hill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £160 with residence. Patron, Lord Grantley. The church is a plain structure of brick and stone in the Norman style. There are a Congregational chapel and a Liberal club.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wonersh St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Hambledon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wonersh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wonersh (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Wonersh are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.