Woking, a town in Surrey, with a stationW the L. & S.W.R., 24 miles from London. It consists of a large straggling parish, comprising the old Woking village, the town around the station, and the hamlets of St Johns and Knaphill. The old village of Woking consists chiefly of one long street, and stands on the river Wey. Woking Station, or New Woking, is in the vicinity of the railway station, and is about 1½ mile from Old Woking. This has grown considerably during the last few years, is now quite a town, and has an urban district council of eighteen members. There are post, money order, and telegraph offices, three banks, two weekly newspapers, and a cattle market held every Monday. A public hall was erected in 1895-96, and the town is lighted by electricity. Acreage of parish, 8889; population, 9776. The population has considerably increased of late years in consequence of the healthiness of the neighbourhood, and the excellence of the railway service to and from London. The male convict prison, first occupied in 1859, was closed in 1890, and after having been remodelled, was opened as a barracks in 1895. The female convict establishment was closed in 1895. St Peter's Memorial Home was erected in 1885, and provides a home for the sick poor who are members of the Church of England and require nursing. The Oriental Institute, founded in 1884 by Dr. Leitner at Maybury, has been separately noticed under MAYBURY. The necropolis at Brookwood was formed in 1854. It is 3 miles from the residential district of Woking. The Mayford industrial school for destitute boys was originally established at Wandsworth, but was removed to Woking in 1887, when a new building was erected at a cost of £15,000, with accommodation for 200 boys. The Surrey county pauper lunatic asylum is situated at Brookwood. There are several nurseries, the soil being eminently suited to the cultivation of shrubs. A palace of the Earl of Winchester, of the time of Edward II., stood on the Wey, about a mile below the village; went to the Crown at the Earl's attainder; passed through the Hollands to the mother of Henry VII.; was an occasional residence of Henry VIII.; went in the time of James I. to Sir E. Zouch; fell then into decay; and is now represented only by substructions. The church of St Peter is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, with some Norman portions, and was restored in 1888 at considerable cost. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £220 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Onslow. St John the Baptist Church is a building of ragstone in the Early English style, and has been considerably enlarged. The living is a vicarage; net value, £200 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Woking. The other churches in the parish are Christ Church, Holy Trinity, and St Paul. There are Baptist, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels. Hoe Place, Beech Hill, Mayford House, The Hermitage, and Sutton Place are the chief residences.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Woking St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Guildford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Woking from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Woking, or Wokeing (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Woking are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.