Witley, Surrey

Historical Description

Witley, a village and a parish in Surrey. The village stands 3½ miles SSW of Godalming, and has a station on the L. & S.W.R., 38 miles from London, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Godalming. The parish comprises 6326 acres; population of the civil parish, 2410; of the ecclesiastical, 1101. There are numerous good residences in the neighbourhood. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £180 with residence. The church is Early English and cruciform, contains some brasses and other memorials, and has been thoroughly restored. King Edward's School, in lieu of one at Bethlehem Hospital in London, was built here in 1867 at a cost of £26,000, and has been twice enlarged. There is also a large convalescent hospital. There are a Congregational chapel, a reading-room, and an institute.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Surrey
Ecclesiastical parish Witley All Saints
Hundred Godalming
Poor Law union Hambledon

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Witley from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Witley are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictWaverley
CountySurrey
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtGU8
Post TownGodalming