Wisley, a parish in Surrey, on the river Wey, 2 miles from Byfleet station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town, Woking; money order and telegraph office, Ripley. Acreage, 1090; population of civil parish, 188; of ecclesiastical, 635. The manor belongs to Earl Lovelace. The living is a rectory, united with Pyrford, in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £275 with residence. Patron, Earl Onslow. The church is a small building of stone in the Norman style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Guildford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wisley from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Wisley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.