Weybridge, Surrey

Historical Description

Weybridge, a parish, with a village, in Surrey, on the river Wey, at the junction with it of the Basingstoke Canal at its own influx into the Thames. The village has a station on the L. & S.W.R., 19 miles from London, and 2½ SE of Chertsey. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office. Acreage of parish, 1372; population, 3944, which has increased of late years owing to the facilities offered for boating and fishing, and the erection of villas and other residences, principally for London families. The streets of the village have been lighted by electricity since 1890. Oatlands Park is a great feature, and has been separately noticed. The parish is governed by an urban district council, and a very efficacious system of sewage was completed in 1895. It is on the flushing principle, and the sewage is pumped to the sewage farm at Byfleet, 4 miles distant. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £340 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was built in 1848, and is a building of stone in the Gothic style with a tower and spire, and contains some curious and ancient brasses and monuments; it was restored in 1890. A chapel of ease was erected in 1874. There are a Congregational church and a cottage hospital. There is a Roman Catholic chapel, which contained the remains of King Louis Philippe until their removal to France. The remains of the late Comte de Paris were interred here in 1894.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Surrey
Ecclesiastical parish Weybridge St. Nicholas
Hundred Elmbridge
Poor Law union Chertsey

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Weybridge from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Weybridge are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictElmbridge
CountySurrey
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtKT13
Post TownWeybridge