Westcott, a chapelry in Dorking parish, Surrey, 1½ mile W by S of Dorking station on the S.E.R. It was constituted in 1852, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Dorking. Population of the ecclesiastical district, 1433. There is a parish council consisting of six members. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £200 with residence. The church was built in 1852, and is a beautiful edifice of flint in the Decorated style. There is a Free church.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Westcott are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.