West Norwood, Surrey
Norwood, West (formerly Norwood St Luke, and afterwards Lower Norwood), an ecclesiastical parish iu Surrey, 5½ miles S of London Bridge, and situated between West Dulwich and Streatham. It has a station on the L.B. & S.C.R. from London Bridge to Victoria, and is in Lambeth civil parish. It was constituted in 1824, and has a population of 11,837. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester; net value, £250 to £350. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church was built in 1825 and restored in 1878. It is a plain brick building ' in the Gothic style. There are Baptist, Congregational, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels; also the Norwood Institute, used chiefly by a number of charitable societies, a free library, and some almshouses. The Norwood or South Metropolitan Cemetery, which is in West Norwood, occupies about 40 acres, and displays much taste and beauty-Many persons of eminence and distinction lie buried here, among whom may be mentioned Sir William Napier, Douglas Jerrold, Sir J. N. Talfourd, Sharon Turner, Frederick Robson the comedian, and C. H. Spurgeon the great Baptist preacher.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of West Norwood are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.