West Molesey, Surrey
Molesey or Moulsey, West, a village and a parish in Surrey. The village stands near the river Thames, 1½ mile N by W of Hampton Court station on the L. & S.W.R., and 3½ miles W by S of Kingston, is a small but. pleasant place, and has a post office under Kingston; money order and telegraph office, East Moulsey. Acreage of pariiA, 737; population, 730. The parish council consists of seven members. Molesey Grove was for many years the residence of the Right Hon. J. Wilson Croker. There are several other good residences and some market gardens. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; value, £220 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1843 and enlarged in 1860, retains the tower of a previous edifice, comprises N aisle and chance), and contains a Later English font. It was restored in 1878.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Kingston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for West Molesey from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Molesey, West)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of West Molesey are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.