West Clandon, Surrey
Clandon, West, a parish in Surrey, under the Merrow Downs, 3½ miles EKE of Guildford town, with a station on the L. & S.W.R., 25 miles from London. It has a post office under Guildford; money order and telegraph office, Merrow. Area, 1006 acres; population, 446. Clandon Park belongs to the Earl of Onslow; the grounds were laid out by Brown; the house is a structure of red brick in a mixture of styles, after designs by Leoni, and contains two fine mantelpieces by Rysbrach. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; value, £110 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Onslow. The church is good, and was restored in 1874.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Guildford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for West Clandon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Clandon, West)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of West Clandon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.