Wandsworth, a parliamentary borough and an ancient parish and suburb of the metropolis in Surrey. It now consists of two parts, Wandsworth proper and New Wandsworth, a thickly-populated district lying between Wandsworth Common and Clapham Junction. It stands on the river Wandle at its influx to the Thames, about 6 miles SW of St Paul's, and on the L. & S.W.R., on which it has a station, and there are also stations on the L.B. & S.C.R., and on the L.C. & D. and Midland railways joint lines. It is an ancient place and is mentioned in Domesday book. It became a seat of several important manufactures introduced by French refugees and by Dutchmen, after the revocation of the Edict of Nantes, and the French refugees rented and enlarged a chapel in the High Street in which service was performed in French for upwards of a century. It is now a busy industrial centre, the creek at the mouth of the Wandle forming a dock for lighters and small vessels, while on its sides there are wharves for coal and general stores. Higher up the stream there are extensive paper mills, and there are also some large distilleries, corn mills, match factories, starch factories, artificial manure works, metal works, &c. Wandsworth contains many handsome houses, a court-house, a town-hall, a technical institute opened in 1895, a lunatic asylum, and the Royal Victoria Patriotic Asylum. On Wandsworth Common stand two important buildings, namely, H.M. prison and the Westminster Emanuel School. The prison, erected in 1851, is a large building of brick fitted with the latest appliances. The ecclesiastical statistics of Wandsworth are given in the article London. The population of the parliamentary borough is 113,244. Wandsworth sends two members to the London county council.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wandsworth All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Wandsworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wandsworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wandsworth (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Wandsworth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.