Walworth, Surrey

Historical Description

Walworth, a metropolitan suburb and parliamentary borough, in Newington parish, Surrey. The suburb lies on the L.C. & D.R., between Southwark and Camberwell, 2½ miles S of St Paul's; was once a hamlet, known at Domesday as Walerode, and is now all compactly edificed. It is in the SE Suburban Postal District. The ecclesiastical parishes are given under London. Population of the parliamentary borough, 59,181.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Surrey
Hundred Brixton
Poor Law union St. Mary

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Walworth from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Walworth are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictSouthwark
CountyGreater London
RegionLondon
CountryEngland
Postal districtSE17
Post TownLondon