Tongham, an ecclesiastical parish in Seale parish, Surrey, with a station on the L. &.S.W.R., 37 miles from London, and 1½ mile SE of Aldershot. It was constituted in 1865, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Farnham. Population, 1044. Poyle Park is the chief residence. Badshot Lea is a large and growing hamlet in the parish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £300 with residence. There are a mission church and a Primitive Methodist chapel at Badshot Lea.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tongham from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Tongham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.