Titsey, Surrey

Historical Description

Titsey, a parish in Surrey, 2 miles from Oxted station on the L.B. & S.C.R. and the S.E.R. Post town, Godstone, money order and telegraph office, Limpsfield. Acreage, 1989; population, 225. Titsey Place is the seat of the Leveson-Gower family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £165 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1861. The Pilgrims' Way, formerly a Roman road, runs through the parish.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Surrey
Hundred Tandridge
Poor Law union Godstone

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Titsey from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Titsey are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictTandridge
CountySurrey
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtRH8
Post TownOxted