Tilford, an ecclesiastical parish, consisting of part of Farnham civil parish and the ancient ville of Waverley, Surrey. It is a ward of Farnham rural parish, and stands on the river Wey, 2½ miles SE of Farnham station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post and money order office under Farnham; telegraph office, Frensham. Population, 636. Green Hills and Tilford House are the chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £275 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church was built in 1868.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tilford from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Tilford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.