Thursley, a parish, with a village, in Surrey, 4 miles W of Witley station on the L. & S.W.R., and 5½ SW of Godalming. It has a post and money order office under Godalming; telegraph office, Elstead. Acreage, 4378; population, 1124. Cosford House is the chief residence. The parish itself, and Thunder Hill, not far from the village, are believed to have got their name from associations with the Scandinavian deity Thor or Thunor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £65 with residence. The church, an ancient edifice of stone, was restored in 1885. There is a Congregational chapel and a children's home.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Thursley St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Hambledon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Thursley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Thursley (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Thursley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.