Thorpe, a parish, with a village, in Surrey, 1 mile from Virginia Water station on the L. & S.W.R., and If NW of Chertsey. It has a post office under Chertsey; money order and telegraph office, Virginia Water. Acreage, 1563; population, 549. Thorpe Lea, Thorpe House, Thorpe Place, and Eastly End are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £230 with residence. The church is of the 14th century.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Thorpe St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Windsor|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Thorpe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Thorpe (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Thorpe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.