Surbiton, a chapelry in Kingston-upon-Thames parish, Surrey, with a station on the L. & S.W.R., 12 miles from London. It was constituted in 1845, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Kingston-upon-Thames. Population, 11,031. St Marks Church is a large building of stone in the Perpendicular style. The living is a vicarage-in the diocese of Rochester; net value, £600. St Andrew's is a brick building in the Geometric style, and serves as a chapel of ease to St Mark. The living is a vicarage; net value, £300 with residence. St Matthew's Church, erected in 1874-75, is a stone building in the Gothic style. The living is a vicarage; net value, £300 with residence. Christ Church was erected in 1863. The living is a vicarage; net value, £600. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels and a cottage hospital. Surbiton has numerous handsome residences and good roads, and is a favourite resort for boating and fishing.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Surbiton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.