Stoke next Guildford, Surrey
Stoke-next-Guildford, a parish in Surrey, on the river Wey, adjacent on the N to Gnildford town and station on the L. & S.W.R., and partly within Guildford borough. It has a post and money order office under Guildford; telegraph office Guildford. Acreage, 2329; population of the civil parish, 9925; of the ecclesiastical, 9913. The manor belonged to the Crown from the time of the Confessor till that of John, was then given to the see of London, reverted to the Crown in the first year of Elizabeth, passed afterwards to various persons, and belongs now to the Onslows. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £540 with residence. The church has been repaired and enlarged. A chapel of ease to the mother church was erected in 1868. St Saviour's iron chapel was erected in 1876. There is a widows' almshouse hospital.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stoke-Next-Guildford St. John the Evangelist|
|Poor Law union||Guildford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stoke next Guildford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stoke-Next-Guildford (St. John the Evangelist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.