Shirley, Surrey

Historical Description

Shirley, a village and an ecclesiastical parish, included within the borough of Croydon, Surrey, 1½ mile E of Croydon station on the L.B. & S.C.R. There is a post and money order office under Croydon; telegraph office, Addington. Population of the ecclesiastical parish, 630. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury; value, £300. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is modern.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Shirley are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictCroydon
CountyGreater London
RegionLondon
CountryEngland
Postal districtCR0
Post TownCroydon