Shamley Green, Surrey
Shamley Green, an ecclesiastical parish in Surrey, 2 miles from Bramley station on the L.B. & S.C.R., and 5 from Guildford. It has a post and money order and telegraph office under Guildford. Population, 732. It forms a ward of the parish council of Wonersh, and returns four members. It was constituted in 1881 out of the parish of Wonersh. The church is a stone building in the Early English style, with a wooden spire. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £300 with residence. There is a small Congregational chapel.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Shamley Green are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.