Shackleford, an ecclesiastical district in Godalming parish, Surrey, 2½ miles WNW of Godalming station on the L. & S.W.R. It was constituted in 1865. It has a post and money order office under Godalming; telegraph office, Eashing. Population, 514. For parish council purposes Shackleford, with Busbridge, part of the ecclesiastical district of Farncombe, and part of the parish of Godalming, forms the rural district of Godalming, and is divided into two wards-North or Shackleford ward, returning four members to the urban district council, and South or Busbridge ward, returning five. Many Roman coins have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £250 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church, built by Sir G. Gilbert Scott in 1866, is in the Early English style and cruciform, with central tower.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Shackleford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.