Send, a village and a parish in Surrey. The village stands on the river Wey, 2 miles from Clandon station on the L. & S.W.R., and 3½ NNE of Guildford, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Woking. The parish includes the chapelry of Ripley, has a parish council, and comprises 5182 acres; population, 2049. The manors belong to Earl Onslow. Send Grove, Send Hohne, and Woodhill are the chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £150 with residence. Patron, Earl Onslow. The church is Later English and good. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Send St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Guildford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Send from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Send (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Send are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.