Roehampton, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Surrey. The village stands near Richmond Park, 1 mile S of Barnes station on the L. & S.W.R., and 1½ WSW of Putney. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office. The parish was constituted in 1862. Population, 2053. For civil purposes it is connected with Putney. Roehampton House is the seat of the Earl of Leven and Melville, was rebuilt in 1710, and has a dining-room ceiling painted by Sir J. Thornhill. Roehampton Grove was rebuilt about 1777 by Lord Huntingfield, and is now the seat of the Lyne-Stephens family. There are other good residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester; gross value, £420 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church was built in 1842 and enlarged in 1862, and is in the Early English style. Adjoining the church is a large mausoleum erected by the Lyne-Stephens family. St Joseph's Roman Catholic Church was eroded in 1881, and is served by the Jesuit fathers of Manresa House, a Jesuit college in the neighbourhood. There are also a Roman Catholic convent, a girls' orphanage, and a workmen's institute.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Wandsworth and Clapham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Roehampton from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Roehampton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.