Pyrford or Pirford, Surrey

Historical Description

Pyrford or Pirford, a parish in Surrey, on the river Wey, 2½ miles E by S of Woking station on the L. & S.W.R., and 6¼ NNE of Guildford. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Woking. Acreage, 1881; population, 431. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor was given by William the Conqueror to the church of Westminster, went at the Reformation to the Crown, was given by Elizabeth to Sir John Wolley, and belongs now to Earl Onslow. A mansion was built here by Sir John Wolley, was long the residence of Dr Donne, and has been taken down. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Wisley, in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £270 with residence. The church includes some Norman and Decorated portions, and has a low wooden spire.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Surrey
Ecclesiastical parish Pyrford St. Nicholas
Hundred Godley
Poor Law union Chertsey

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Pyrford or Pirford from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.